When a contest entry period is over, use the Advanced Entry Picker to select the winner(s). This dialog appears when the Pick Random Entries button is selected.
- Go to the Lists/Entries Manager.
- Click the desired list's View Entries icon.
- Click the Pick Random Entries button.
By default, the Advanced Entry Picker is set up to choose one winner as in a standard sweepstakes-style contest. For many contests, you may find that all you need to do is click Submit in order to choose a winner. If that's the case, skip ahead to Step 3.
Filter Entries allows you to select winners based on answers to custom form fields, including the Text, Check Box, Drop-down, Radio, Hidden and URL fields. For example, say you use a radio button field to ask "What is 2+2?" The choices you set up are 3, 4, and 5. Filter Entries allows you to discard all entries with incorrect answers, and only choose a winner from entries with correct answers. To use Filter Entries, take the following steps:
- Click Step 1: Filter Entries (optional) to expand the Filter Entries menu.
- All of the Custom Fields on your form will appear. Use the corresponding drop-down menus to choose the correct answer(s), and proceed to Step 2.
Only entries that match ALL the values you choose exactly will be picked. To ignore a field in the filter process, simply leave it blank.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the number of entries to pick. For a simple contest with one winner, leave this set to one.
- Use the four check boxes below the drop-down menu to narrow-down entry selection:
- Only pick from entries that have been marked as approved. Checking this box will cause the entry picker to only choose entries from those that have been marked as Approved. If no entries have been marked Approved, it will choose from all entries.
- The same entry can be chosen more than once. If you are picking more than one entry, check this box if the same entry can be chosen more than once. Selecting this option will perform a random pick where the same entry can appear multiple times (known as sampling with replacement). For most simple promotions, you’ll want to leave this unchecked.
- Give extra chances to win for each vote or point received. This option is most useful when you are using a combination of voting and luck to choose winners, or when you are using the Refer-a-Friend option. If you leave this unchecked, entries will be chosen without regard to their points/votes. If you check this option, you increase the odds for entries with votes/points to be chosen: Every entry gets once chance, plus entries with votes/points get an additional chance to win for each vote/point. See Filter Entries above for more information.
- Entry must be within the selected date range. Only pick entries submitted between the dates specified below. The minimum date range is one day. Date ranges span from 12:00 am of the start date to 12:00 am of the end date.
Choose how you would like to receive the results. Selecting Show me the results will close the Advance Entry Picker and display only the winner(s) in the Entries view. Selecting Export the results as a .csv file will send a .csv file of the winning entry to the email address associated with your ShortStack account, or to the address you enter into the Email Address to Receive Entries field.
After the Advanced Entry Picker makes its selection, it's up to you to contact the winner, let them know they've won, and tell them how to pick up the prize.