Your security is important to us here at ShortStack; for this reason, we provide the ability to set up two-factor authentication on your account. If you've never worked with two-factor authentication before, this is an added layer of security on top of your account password. It requires the use of a third-party app that gives you a random series of numbers (or a "code") that will allow you to access your account after you've entered your username and password.
Setting Up Your Account
Here are the steps to enable two-factor authentication on your ShortStack account:
- Log into your ShortStack account.
- On the Dashboard, click your name in the top right-hand corner, then select Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- You should see that in the Username & Password section that it says Two-factor authentication DISABLED - we'll be changing that.
- Click on the Edit button in the Username & Password section.
- Check the Enable two-factor authentication box at the bottom of the Username & Password section.
- Once checked, you'll see more fields appear below. To move forward you'll need a compatible authenticator app - the two we recommend are Google Authenticator (on iOS and Android) and Authy (also on iOS and Android).
- With the app downloaded and set up on your mobile device, you'll use the app and the device's camera to scan the provided QR code.
- If you don't want to/don't have access to your device's camera, you can manually type in the secret key to set up the authenticator instead.
- When the app has been set up and is providing you with codes, type the code that the app is providing you currently into the field provided, then click Save.
- You'll know that everything's set up correctly because you'll see the message change to Two-factor authentication ENABLED.
Using Two-Factor Authentication to Log In
Once you have your two-factor authentication set up on your account, logging into the site will have an extra step. Here's how you'll log in now:
- Go to ShortStack and click Log In at the top.
- Enter your email address and password like normal, then click Sign In.
- Open your authenticator app on your phone, and find the code for your ShortStack login.
Note: The example shown here is from Google Authenticator.
- Enter that code into the provided field, then click Validate. You'll then be directed to your account, like normal.